Thursday, February 26, 2009

Vanilla

I am nothing if not consistent. After showing you my last two completed pairs of socks (stockinette), I now present to you.... a pair of stockinette socks.

And then there were two..

My Mum gave me this yarn a while ago as a souvenir from a trip my parents took to Germany so I thought it would be nice to knit her a pair of socks from it. So I did. In about two days (a slight exaggeration but I timed myself when I knit the first sock and know that it took approximately 8hours of knitting from cast on to kitchener.) I didn't use a pattern, more a tried and tested recipe that I keep in my head at all times so a simple well fitting sock. I hope she like (and wears) them!

Opal sock

Pattern Notes: See ravelry for a rough sketch.
Yarn: Opal Hundertwasser Cotton 48% Cotton 39% New Wool 13% Polyamide (nylon). Knots a plenty. I'm now the proud owner of about four mini-balls of yarn from where the adjoining piece of yarn was tied on with no regard to colour sequence.
Needles: US2 for the cast on only, US0 for the rest of it.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the feel of the yarn (the colours are not really my thing) and I'm guessing that they will hold up very well. In fact I was so impressed that when it came to casting on for another sock I purposefully reached for my other cotton-wool blend yarn, Plymouth sockotta. That sock is coming on at a fairly fine clip too....

New Socks on the Block

3 comments:

  1. ooh, nice. I like the bottom sock especially, looks like a tortoise on acid. In a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point the only way I'm going to actually finish socks is if they're the stockinette kind. Yours are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the top sock colour, not my cup of tea, but the bottom socks, mmmm definitely!

    ReplyDelete